Friday, August 6, 2010

Vietnamese Hospital Visit

Today I went to the get my health check up for my work permit. Last week we toured a very nice hospital in the city that is covered by our insurance and I’ll be using. But today we went to another one because the school decided to pay for our check-ups.

Wow, it was quite an experience. First we had to get our blood drawn to check for HIV and other diseases and of course luck have it, I had to go first. The girl that is terrified of needles is the first to go. So I go into the room where you can actually see out little blinds to the people waiting. There in the room I have another guy sitting seriously 2 inches away in another chair while I put my arm out to give the blood. The needle came out of a pack and then I just looked away.

After I was given my cup to pee in, I walk down the hall to the bathroom. The bathroom has 3 stalls, 2 are holes in the ground and the third a real toilet with no toilet paper. I take the toilet. There is a lady cleaning the bathroom with a hose when I go in. I am in the stall and you can see out blinds and I can see people waiting in the waiting room, lots of privacy. So here I am trying to pee in my cup and the cleaning lady is spraying my feet with a hose, talk about performance anxiety. After I walk down the hall with my pee cup past everyone still waiting to see the doctor. We also saw the ear, nose, and throat doctor would just took his hand and moved my ear to look into it and then talked to me about where Wisconsin was located in the states. Overall it was an “experience.” But I’m alive and kicking still so that is good.

Last night I went out to dinner with my roommate Sophie, and Stephanie and Vicky. We went to this place that has these pancake meals the size of huge plates. We each got one and two beers, two smoothies, and two waters. After tip we spent $15. It was nuts. We probably could have done with only two of the pancakes too. It was pretty good though. We walked around after and looked at some shops.

My gym is coming along, the floor won’t be put in when we start but the rest should be done but lots to do. There are 4 pillars in there that I told them they must put mats around. Since it is a multi-purpose room they don’t have a “gym” ceiling with rafters. This makes it hard to attach climbing equipment that they bought. My office/storage room is still without electricity or completed floor. Part of the room has a ceiling that is only 3 inches taller than me. But on the bright side I did get some equipment today. I have some soccer balls, basketballs, jump ropes, rubber chickens, soxtail balls, and the savior – the parachute!!!! So I’m feeling better about that but it would be nice to actually have an office and storage area that is finished. But it is coming. Still sweating like it is my job though! 

3 comments:

pseudoboricua said...

rubber chickens??? LOL

Bex said...

LAUER! I was just thinking the same thing! WTF do you need rubber chickens for, Huff????? hahaha

Also, nothing like the squatties! Be careful - I'm sure it's like Thailand and a lot of the more "local" places have nothing BUT squatties.

Unknown said...

Everywhere so far has had regular toliets, just no tp. I didn't order the shipment that came in.