Saturday, August 21, 2010

First Full Week is in the Bag

I finished my first full week of teaching. It is a pretty cool feeling. I think this week actually went faster than last week's 3 days. I didn't do anything really exciting this week but work on lesson plans and have dinner with a few co-workers. My equipment still hasn't arrived and the floor won't be put down for awhile in my room so I'm still in my little classroom. But I did get some jump ropes and the kids absolutely love them. It is pretty cool to know that I helped some of them learn how to jump rope, among learning other skills. And the fact that most of my students speak little or no english makes it even more meaningful. Our enrollment is growing weekly. Back in June we only had 25 students enrolled and now we are approaching 100. The only down side of that for me is being in that little room with so many children. I'm slowly getting all the kids names down, I thought learning the names during student teaching was tough, man was I wrong.

I am in the process of trying to join a gym because the one in our building is not finished and we aren't sure when it will be (Vietnam time is next month). I think they have been saying next month for about 6 months or so. But the place close by has a big initiation fee that you don't get back. It is cheaper with others signing up but no one seems to want to make the commitment or pay that much money down. I just need to get back on the treadmill, eliptical and pool. I seriously miss it so much! So hopefully this week I will get some others to join with me or bite the bullet and just do it alone and hope that the gym here doesn't open until January so it is a wise decision.

I stayed in last night and watched some bones episodes on my laptop, it was nice to just veg out. Tonight we are suppose to meet some of the guys doing the after school sports program and they are going to show us some of the places they go in HCMC.

So a pretty uneventful week but I can't stop thinking "This is my job" because I absolutely love it.

No comments: