Friday, July 30, 2010

Time is Water

We were told in Vietnam that time is like water, there is always more of it. It is hard to get use to not being prompt and right on time all the time. I still show up early and I’m all alone. I’m still struggling with the weather. All the ladies are wearing capris and shirts and don’t seem to be bothered by the weather but I’m in my shorts and tshirts and dying. Everyone seems to have lots of cute “teacher” clothes that are really cute and classy. I feel like a tomboy, but then I remember I am a tomboy and even back home I am not as dressed up as everyone else. One teacher who has been here for a few years said that we should all live the life we are meant to live and I really think that is true. I am trying to not worry about my “normal” clothes and just be me. I am the girl that would rather be in sweats and wears shorts and tshirts for work. I’m the phy ed teacher.

Today we went to a young international women’s networking group in the city. I met women from New Zealand, Australia, Finland, and Germany. They were really nice and I hope I can go again to this gathering. After was the International Ladies in Vietnam weekly get together. They were really awesome and a great group to be a part of, I think I will join just for the networking and connections I could make. I met women from all over the place and the group has an evening meeting for the teachers that are here.

After we went to a restaurant called Nam Son, it was kind of scary walking into. It is the type of place that you don’t use the bathroom and you sit on stools at a table. It isn’t the cleanest place but they specialize in ostrich and beefsteak. I had beefsteak and an egg sunny side up (how they do it in Vietnam). It was really good, I’m glad I broke out of my shell a bit and tried something new. Last night I even had a mushroom, and for the record, I still HATE them!!!

Things are going well, but I get real tired around 7-8pm. But all the other teachers are really awesome and I am enjoying getting to know them. Last night we had dinner at Mary’s apartment, it has an amazing view and the decorations look great. One thing I have learned is that all of the teachers like to drink. We will sit and have a glass of wine or beer (errr cocktail for me). Well time to wake up and get moving!!!

2 comments:

Bex said...

*gasp*
Teachers like to drink?! :) Looks like you picked the right field to go into. I kid, I kid!

You'll get used to that heat soon enough. Until then, lots of water and tank tops.

Good for you for going out of your comfort zone and trying something new. Is it easy for you to get more Americanized food over there? I would think that, with the size of Ho Chi Minh City, it should be easier than some of the more rural cities and towns.

Unknown said...

I've had made more pizza here than I have in the past 4 months at home. Oh and sausage pizza here is pizza with a hot dog cut up, back to pepperoni I go.