Sunday, August 29, 2010

Fabric, Techno, & Rain


Here comes the rain!!!

Fabric Store

Well I survived my second full week of teaching, it actually went by pretty fast I thought. I am being told I will have my gym after this next week (fingers crossed). I still don't know when my equipment will come but I'm pretty excited about having a gym soon. All of the teachers are busy getting their rooms ready because we have open house tomorrow night for the parents. The ELL teacher made a bulletin board and asked the students in 3rd and 4th grade what their favorite part of ISSP (International School Saigon Pearl) is and three of the students said something about me and PE. It felt pretty good to see that up on the wall. I really needed to see that especially because I'm stressed that I'm not doing the best because of the limitations I have, so that was a great boost for me.

Last saturday we went to an expat bar called Buddha Bar, it was actually pretty dead (we were there thursday and it was packed) so we went across the street to a spanish bar that has a pool, pool table, and foosball (all free). We played foosball with german men in lederhasen (sp?), it was pretty fun. After the bar closed (most of them close by midnight) we decided to try out one of the clubs, Diamond Club. We walk in and are of course the only non asians (minus Frank) there and they take us straight to the VIP area above the dance floor. We had a fruit plate, beer, and a hooka at our table, it was pretty cool. The music was all techno, but we had fun and I did a little dancing. We had a fun time but I still think I could feel the beat when I got home.

Friday we went to Barbeque Garden again (ate here on our 2nd night in HCMC). It is one of my favorite places so far. You cook the food on your table, it is pretty cool and yummy. After we went to this frozen yogurt place where you can pick your flavors and toppings and man did they have a lot. We found this african safari themed bar after for a few cocktails and then headed to a place called The Drunken Duck, where there were tons of expats, including my future husband :-) He was tall, cute, and BRITISH and I totally chickened out in talking to him :-( Next time.

Saturday we went to the fabric district to get fabric to bring to the tailor. I bought fabric for 7 pairs of capris and 4 tops all for $25-$30 bucks. While we were there, the monsoon rain came! Wow, we had to cross the street in 1/2 a foot of water, it was nuts. We saw motorbikes stall out numerous times, it was just crazy. But I learned that you get what you pay for at REI, my raincoat is amazing!!!

Today we went to the tailor to tell her what we want down, there were 4 of us with numerous projects so we have to wait three weeks, but I'm pretty excited to see how the things turn out, we just show her a picture or give her a pair of pants to copy and she makes it all for about $7 to $15 an item.

We only have three days of school before we have a two day holiday break. I am going to Mui Ne Beach with Vicky, Diane, Avis, and Jill. We are staying at an awesome resort in a villa. I am excited to see another part of Vietnam and relax a bit.

3 comments:

Bex said...

Yay techno club!!! I'm kind of jealous that you got to see a monsoon rain. We were in Thailand at the end of the dry season, and just the beginning of the rainy season, so we never got to see the good rains. Those tailors are amazing; just you wait. It'll be nice to go on your own sometime - she'll practically have your stuff made before you walk out the door! :)
Good for you for making that board. Nothing feels better than knowing you're making a difference, huh? Keep up the good work!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks Bekah! I tried to call you last week. Unknown number = me, so answer :-) It is pretty amazing here, still adjusting to "Vietnam time" though ;-)

Morgan said...

I can't wait to hear about your beach trip - I'm jealous! I'm sooo glad you are enjoying yourself, and I know you're doing a fabulous job teaching those kiddos!