Sunday, August 8, 2010

Fish & Motorbikes

Today was our Student Orientation for all the new students and their parents to come tour the school and meet their teachers. I served as a tour guide of sorts taking students to their rooms and introducing myself to them. It was pretty cool getting to meet lots of the families and really made me excited to start teaching. Today it really hit me that starting Wednesday, I'm in charge of my own classroom, no cooperating teacher, no supervisor watching over, it's mine. Pretty scary but exciting too. Mostly scaring because for probably the first month I'll be in a regular size classroom teaching phy ed. The room has a sink in the corner also and four ceiling fans, so really limits what I can do. But I have faith that the floor will be put down in my "gym" and the pool will be finished in September.

After working 7 days straight we were all pretty tired and my feet were killing me. A group of us went to this Thai restaurant and Todd ordered us lots of dishes to try. He lived there for 7 years and can speak thai. The food was delicious and actually tried everything, even a green vegetable. I really enjoyed all the dishes, well except the morning glory veggie one, yuck!

After Vicky and I really wanted to go try out the fish massage at this place Diane went to. So some people went shopping, others went home and we headed to the fish massage place. Wow, what an experience. It was the weirdest, coolest, creepiest feeling ever. You put your feet in this pool of water and the fish just swarm to you, it is crazy and we just couldn't stop laughing for the first 10 minutes about. It was really funny with two Vietnamese people came in half way through. Watching them experience what we did, was hilarious and we were all laughing together and we didn't speak a lick of the same language. And the fish actually did a good job getting rid of most of my crusty heel, all for 5 bucks for 30 minutes in the water.

Next we walked a little bit, we grabbed some ice cream at this fabulous place that makes your dessert look like a masterpiece, all for about $3.50. Then came the helmet shop. Vicky and I were like we should buy helmets in case we ever ride a motorbike taxi. So I got a cute blue one and her a matching cute yellow one. All for about $11 each. (Don't be mad mom, I bought the more expensive and nicer one). Well then we are like, well we need to take a motorbike taxi home to try out our new helmets (Sorry Mom). So we find two that are suppose to take us together back home. Well when we first take off, I'm like "Oh crap!" But after a little bit, I'm like this is awesome and lots of fun, until we lose Vicky. Soon we are going the wrong way and I have no idea where I am and he stops and is like "Here" and points. I'm like no, and pull out the card for the school. At this point I'm thinking he is going to take me away and kill me or something and start hearing my mom's voice in my head. Well e turn around and stop again and he asks some security guards how to get there and I tell them the address as well. Finally we are headed in the right direction. I figure by this point Vicky is already home and wondering where I am. We are cruising down the road and all of a sudden, "Oh my god, Jenn!" and Vicky goes flying by me. They got lost too. Both of us and our drivers are laughing. Finally we get home, all for $2.50, totally worth it. Needless to say this was a long a stressful week and tonight I laughed more than I have in a long long time and it was a great time.

2 comments:

Bex said...

hahaha "Crusty heel." That's pretty disgusting, homes.

I'm glad you tried the Thai!!! I told you there's more to Thai food than Pad Thai with nothing on it but peanuts. :)

Unknown said...

I like chicken and egg in my pad thai too. We had this beef salad thing, so yummy. I should have taken pictures of the food from last night. My heel is like this from running and wearing my athletic shoes so much dude!!