Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Feeling the distance


I woke up this morning to find out my grandma is in the ICU. She is the only grandparent I have left and I'm really feeling the distance from home right now. My dad drove over to Green Bay already and I was able to talk to my grandma and tell her I love her and miss her. I also talked to a bunch of my aunts and uncles and cousins who were in the hospital with her.

I knew coming here that things would happen back home while I was gone but these first 6 weeks have really tested me. First my dad has surgery for prostate cancer, then Joyce (my psuedo grandma) has a stroke, my best friend Kelly got engaged (hugs) and now my grandma is in the hospital. I knew life would go on without me back home but lately it has been really hard. I am so thankful that I went to visit my grandma the week before I left to come to Vietnam. I knew seeing her it could be the last time, but it is still so hard.

I just keep hoping she pulls through yet again, she is a Huff after all, stubborn and strong :-) It breaks my heart to think that I might not have her at my wedding. She is all I have left, that makes it even harder.

Not only am I far away but I have/had a full day of teaching to do today. Luckily being with the kids makes me feel better and kind of get away for a bit. But my heart is definitely back home right now.

I made this choice and I don't regret it because ever since I lost Amber, I knew my life was going in a different direction than most of my friends and family. Because of Amber I knew to live for today and make your dreams come true because we never know how long we have here. My ring is a constant reminder of this, "The journey of a lifetime begins with one step." And luck have it, I'm wearing one of Amber's softball tournament shirts today. She really is the best guardian angel one could ask for.

So I ask that you all pray for my amazing grandma and take time to tell the ones you love in your life how much they mean to you, because you never know what tomorrow holds.

"Don't let the fear of striking out, keep you from playing the game!" (Always with me Amber)

1 comment:

Morgan said...

Aww, hang in there Grandma! Take care of yourself, Jenn. Miss ya.