Monday, October 10, 2011

30 looks good on me!

So I'm 30 now, I know none of you knew that or gave me any crap about it...Bekah Chell Peavey!  I honestly can't belive it.  If you would have told me I would be teaching in Vietnam, traveling around the world when I was 30, I would have probably laughed in your face, but here I am and I don't regret the decision to come here at all. 

My life the past couple of months has been crazy busy - the start of a new school year, moving into my first solo apartment, getting a VN driver's license and motorbike, flying home for Kelly's wedding, and turning the big 3-0. 

I'm finally getting back on track from Kelly's wedding trip back home.  It took a lot out of me doing such a short trip home and back but I wouldn't have missed that crazy girl's wedding for anything.  It really was one of the most beautiful, magical weddings I have ever been too.  If you haven't been to Mackinaw Island in Michigan, you must go stat, it is breathtaking.  It is like going back in time, only bicycles and horses are allowed on the island for transportation.  Kelly and Andy got married at The Little Stone Church, it was adorable and Kelly looked amazing, that dress was made for her.  It was great to get to be there by her side as she got married and was thrilled to have my mom there as well - Kelly always was like a sister. 

That experience really solidfied my feelings about the future, for the past couple of months I have been trying to figure out what I am going to do after this year in Vietnam is done (I have a two year contract).  I have been going back and forth, making lists with pros and cons and I have finally made my decision.  I AM coming back to the States after my contract ends here in June.  It was a hard decision and it will be an uphill battle finding a PE job but it is the right decision.  So everyone spread the word you know an awesome K-12 PE teaching that needs a job for the 2012-2013 school year, I can be persuaded to move as long as my kitty, Meelo, gets to come with. 

Many of you ask if I regret coming here and honestly I don't, not one bit.  I have grown so much in the past year here and learned so much about myself and what I want in my life and who I want in my life.  As you know I have always wanted to teach overseas, it was a dream of mine and I got to do it, I am doing it and for the most part it is pretty amazing - the benefits, the kiddos, the traveling, etc.  If I wouldn't have come I would have always thought, "What if?" and regretted not taking the chance.  I absolutely love my job and know I found my career.  It took coming here to realize how much I love all the things I had back in Minnesota, yes I am saying I missed things from MN, it is hard saying love and Minnesota in the same sentence, but it is true.  All those sayings are too, distance makes the heart grow fonder, and so on. 

So I am happy to say I am coming back to the states to teach next summer.  I am excited and terrified because I am well aware of the job market and economy back home right now - part of the reason I went overseas to begin with.  But I am one determined woman.  Many said I wouldn't get a teaching job overseas without any experience and here I am, so BRING IT ON!!!

Just wanted to update you all on my good news!  Happy Monday!!!

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Can't wait to see you, Jen. Miss you lots! Hope your new gig is in the cities. We Got The Runs neeeeeds you! ;)

Dana Frantz said...

I have no doubt you will find a job back home!! You have always accomplished what you wanted to do. I send all my wishes and good luck juju to you!