Sunday, May 8, 2011

2011 in a Nutshell

To my faithful followers I'm sorry I haven't updated often, I know many of you are curious as to how life is going on the other side of the world so I'm gonna try to recap what has happened so far in 2011.

First of all I want to say thank you to my family and friends for being such amazing people in my life.  I wouldn't be where I am today without you and I wouldn't be who I am without you.  As some of you know this year has had lots of bumps in the road and having you all there for me got me through it.  Words can't express my gratitude for being the amazing people that you all are. 

Now I started off the year on a great note, with three awesome friends traveling through Thailand and Cambodia.  I had a great trip with Jen, Danielle, and Aly and really hope that more friends come to visit. 

In February we had Tet, which is the biggest celebration of the year here, it is their New Year's.  They shut down a whole street (at least 6 blocks) and put in these spectacular flowers and even cemented bricks and pots into the street just for this one week, it was breathtaking.  Also they had fireworks on New Years and I climbed onto the back of a flat bed truck with Avis with some locals to catch a better view. 

March brought my lovely momma to Vietnam.  It was a bit of a confusion getting her here because the Japanese earthquake hit 10 hours before she was suppose to leave the cities and fly to Tokyo so her flight was cancelled and she had to wait two more days before leaving (long two days for me) but she finally got here and it was really great showing her around "my city."  I actually took her out shopping, for manicures and pedicures, dinner and bought her a day trip to the Mekong Delta.  It felt pretty awesome finally getting to treat my mom.  Ahhh, finally a big kid!  :-)  We went to Beijing, China and Phi Phi Island, Thailand over Spring Break.  The Great Wall was by far one of the coolest, most amazing things I've ever seen.  It is one thing to look at it in pictures but to actually be climbing the steps and walking on the wall, wow!  Beijing had so much history and beauty in it, we were only there for 4 days and we fit in a ton of stuff but I would love to go back and see more.  The Forbidden City was massive, so surreal seeing it in person just like the Great Wall, just never thought I would actually get to see those places.  We also got to go take pictures of the Water Cube and Birds Next from the 2008 Olympics.  It was pretty cool seeing them in person after watching the Olympics religiously.  Overall Beijing was amazing and definitly worth the expensive visa!

Next we went to Phi Phi Island which I found out is a huge party island that lots of 20-40 year olds go to.  that aside it was gorgeous, one of the coolest beaches I have ever seen.  It was tiny, no cars on the island, just a few motorbikes and bicycles.  It was a great way to end our vacation together, very relaxing. 

Seeing my mom go was really hard because she is my mom (duh) and best friend but we had a great two weeks together. 

April flew by, can't remember much of what I did in April really.  But at the end of the month we had two days off and I went to Mui Ne, Vietnam and chilled out on the beach for 3 days.  It was a very relaxing, much needed retreat from school and the city.  I went by myself but had a few friends who ended up there that I met up with for dinner and shopping.  I read on the beach and swam in the pool and met people from England and New Zealand.  It is quite close to Ho Chi Minh and next year when i get stressed out I am gonna hop on a bus for the weekend there again.

Now it is already May, wow!  I only have 5 weeks left to teach, super excited, but so so much to do.  We have a spring concert on May 18th and I am teaching dances to three classes and a group of teachers.  The second graders are doing a country line dance to Achy Breaky Heart, third graders are doing a dance to New York, New York, and the fourth/fifth graders are doing The Hustle.  It is actually pretty fun teaching the dances but hard to remember all the different steps and do them correctly while directing the kids.  But they are coming along and I can't wait to see them perform them.  I am also teaching the teachers a dance to Eye of the Tiger, think kicks and punches, gonna be so hilarious!  I also have to do swim assessments on all the students and fitness testing on 2nd - 5th grade, plus grades and ahhh.  But it will all get done. 

More news, I'm still struggling with my weight, I am happy to say i haven't gained any weight since I moved here (trying to stay positive) but really really want to lose some.  I have been trying to stick to weight watchers online with a little success here and there.  But I decided to get a personal trainer.  yes I know I'm a PE teacher, but even I need some motivation and ass kicking sometimes.  Plus it is pretty cheap here in Vietnam well compared to back home.  I got 15 sessions for $200.  So the last 5 weeks I have 3 sessions a week with Sam and once a week I am gonna meet up with my friend Crystal to go running.  I have only ran once outside here but gonna push myself.  I have always loved working out and figure since nothing else seems to be helping me lose weight right now gonna see if going harder at the gym shows any benefits.  The best part is when I come home even if I haven't lost weight I will be in better shape and ready to keep on pushing myself at home.  Also excited to hit the gym with all my friends too!  So keep your fingers crossed that I am able to get my body to start doing what I want it to do.  I am determined to not let my hypothyroidism win gosh darn it!

So that is what has been happening with me!  I am so stoked to be home in T-5 weeks!

3 comments:

pseudoboricua said...

Ummm PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE video tape this Eye of the Tiger routine!!!!! hahahahahahaaaaa! that is going to be amazing!!!!

pseudoboricua said...

oh, and Achy Breaky Heart! you are really pulling out all the classics, aren't you Huff??? ;)

Unknown said...

It is great being my own boss! I need to get a video camera or give someone my digital to video tape it when they perform. Had to pick fun songs so the kids didn't hate me too much!