Monday, February 21, 2011

I fell in love with Vietnam tonight!!

I've been here 7 months and I finally fell in love with Vietnam.  Yes there have been moments of lust and deep caring but tonight I fell in love.  I took my bike out for its first voyage solo through the city and it was amazing.  I finally saw Vietnam the way you are meant to see it.  I have been on the back of motorbikes but this is different.  Tonight I finally felt like I live here, it was pretty cool.  It is crazy though, because bicycles just ride with the motorbikes and cars on the streets.  I am just peddling down the middle of the road and intersections, pretty crazy but I feel really comfortable.  I think I am fine because I have been riding a bike my whole life and can manage it very well, now a motorbike is quite different. 

I ran some errands with my bike and rode around for an hour before watching The Amazing Race with the girls and having dinner.  Then I went out for another hour bike ride because it was just so much fun.  On the second ride I put my heart rate monitor on.  I just rode around downtown and back for an hour, burned 500 calories, crazy.  I mean I was trucking at times on my 3 speed cruiser :-) but didn't expect to burn that many calories, whohoo! 

Now I just need to have a talk with Gym and tell him that I'm going to be seeing Bike more, I hope he takes it alright.  I can't believe I have been here 7 months and today was the first day I really felt independent, it was liberating.  FREEDOM!!!!  I can say that $92 was some of the best money I have ever spent! 

So I have new found independence that is amazingly fun and burns tons of calories, AWESOME!!

Side Note:  To all you worriers & motherly types, I am wearing my helmet!!!



4 comments:

pseudoboricua said...

LOVE THE BIKE! sooooo cute! glad you are having fun w/ it!! :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Jess, I love it too! Finally have my own "wheels" in Vietnam :-)

Morgan said...

hooray for love!

Bex said...

Yay bike!!!!! I've got my lovely littke Trek WAITING to be taken out on its maiden voyage. Lucky you, you get to ride yours around all year. Lucky ducky.

PS - I LOVE the fact that you blew 500 calories out of an hour. I'm going to have to get one of those HR monitors...what kind do you have?