Sunday, January 16, 2011

Breakthrough

I know all of you want to hear about my travels over break and I wrote down notes on my ereader to write on the blog later.  But then I broke the ereader in Koh Chang, Thailand and sent it home with Jen so not so sure when I will get to that.  But no worries eventually I will write about what I did.  As a recap I went to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Melaka, Malaysia, Singapore, Phu Quoc island, Vietnam, Bangkok, Koh Chang island, Thailand, and Siem Reap, Cambodia.  So my country count is at 5 for Southeast Asia now.  In two months my mom and I will be going to China to see Beijing and the Great Wall (looking to cost us our life savings too, yikes). 

Now on to why I'm posting.  As all of you know I have been struggling with my weight for some time now, since I found out about the thyroid problem a few years ago and still haven't found a balance between exercise and diet to help me get back into shape.  Well my new years resolution is "To not give up" and yes that is meant for lots of areas of my life.  But I am determined this is the year that I will get the thyroid problem under control and become happy in my own skin again.  That being said I am happy to say that I ran outside tonight, first time in Vietnam.  It felt great, it was painful and slow but I still get that runner's high.  I'm so glad it is getting a little cooler at night so I am able to try to run on my own.  I am almost twice the size I was in high school (sad story) but I still love running.  Now that I am pretty settled in my job and in Vietnam I can really focus on getting me back on track.  My mom signed up for Weight Watchers and I am going to try to do it with her, at least use the information to know what I am putting in my body calorie and fat wise. 

But I just wanted to tell everyone that I ran tonight, outside on the pavement and it felt amazing.  I have a long way to go but that is a giant step in the right direction.

2 comments:

Morgan said...

Awesome Jenn! Journaling what you eat really does help, though it's sort of a pain in the butt. The online food journaling system, My Plate, on livestrong.com is super helpful.

lo @ crazy ever after said...

Good for you, Jen! I am very proud of you. Kickball is starting up again soon. You're going to be missed on the team. Maybe you can play a game or two when you're home this summer.