Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Vomit, Being Blonde, and 12 Bars of Christmas

Blonde or Brunette?
Roomies in our Santa Hats!

As many of you remember during my student teaching at Battle Creek Elementary School I saw many "accidents" in my gym just in two weeks time, my cooperating teacher was gonna nickname me Crete as in excrete.  I couldn't believe I saw every bodily fluid in two weeks time, and yes every!  Well It took four months before that happened here in Vietnam in my own classroom.  It was with the kindergarten class and we were playing with the parachute.  Now it all was fine but if that little boy would have puked one foot to the left he would have hit another girl and the parachute.  Man all I could see was vomit getting bounced around the room!  So glad that DID not happen. 

Last week I got two packages from my mom, one came in 2 days the other 4 weeks, got to love the postal system.  Just so you know Fedex is the one that made it in two days.  It was great, she sent games for us to play in our apartment like balderdash, apples to apples, bananagrams, suduko.  She also sent Xmas decorations and Thanksgiving decorations, now if the package wouldn't have been swam over I probably would have gotten those decorations before Turkey day.  But she sent things for me, my roomie and my friend Steph, so we had a little Xmas party and opened the package.  We need took a christmas photo in front of our tree with our stockings (sent from the US) in my speedos over our clothes.  Not sure why we decided this but I think wine was involved.  Yes, yes it was.  I do remember us actually calling the cafe downstairs to deliver another bottle to us.  Getting letters and packages from home is one of the best feelings because it makes you feel closer to home because you know that someone back home touched that letter/package and sent it just for you.  I treasure getting things in the mail as all people do I bet. 

Now on to being blonde.  It has come to my attention that all  my coworkers think I'm blonde, and no not "acting blonde" but actually have blonde hair.  Now I find this hilarious because I'm a brunette, I mean I know it is light brown, but come on now.  But it isn't just one person that has said this.  I need feedback on this topic.  I went to get my haircut two weekends ago and they said that too.  Now I was sitting in the chair and looking at it and it does look like the ends of my hair are pretty light (I refuse to say blonde).  The thing is I'm not out in the sun, so it isn't getting bleached out.  I find it funny though because for over 8 years I highlighted my hair blonde and now I am au natural and it is turning blonde, very interesting. 

More on that haircut.  I heard that Vietnamese don't know how to style or cut hair and we all know how anal I am about my hair so I waited 4 months but the ends of my hair were getting really dry and tangly so I knew I hate to get it cut.  I made an appointment where everyone else has gone and headed in.  My apt started with me getting to lay down and get my hair washed/head massaged for 20 minutes.  Then the stylist came to ask what I wanted.  Knowing I wasn't going to get my perfect cut like back home I just told him an inch on the bottom and cut it straight it across.  He did as I asked and it looks alright, still some hair needs a cut but I'm ok with that, the worst is gone.  He actually only sniped the scissors 4 times.  After that I had two people blow dry my hair and straighten it.  I know I have straight hair but dang it was straight after that, WOW!  So all of that for the price of....dun...dun..dun.....$4.50.  You read that right, ha!  Crazy.  It wasn't a great hair cut but the head massage was awesome. 

Now as many of you know last friday was 12 Bars of Christmas back in Minneapolis.  Well I did it last year with my friends and had a blast.  I know what you are thinking, Jenn you're an alcoholic (Really Dad I'm not).  But all the money raised went to the Children's Hospital.  But yes it was a blast seeing thousands of people in matching shirts doing around town.  I made it to all 12 bars last year and knowing I was going to miss it this year I was pretty bummed.  So I decided to make a 12 Bars of Christmas in Vietnam.  I wasn't sure how it would go over, but I had Sophie and Stephanie on board for sure.  Well the night started with our Staff Christmas Party and after lots of people wanted to join.  At first I thought people would hit up one bar for a drink and call it a night, but everyone started to get into it.  We had a pretty big group through 8 or 9 bars, from there Sophie and I finished it out, actually hitting 13 bars.  Now you can imagine what it looks like to see thousands of people in matching shirts in a city, well there were just 8 of us, kind of dressed up from our Xmas party singing Christmas carols through downtown Ho Chi Minh City.  Sophie and I had on awesome sparkly santa hats (thanks mom).  Steph and Vicky had on Birthday style hats with Santa on them and Frank had a balloon of Santa tied to his wrist.  I'm sure we made many people's nights, we were "those" people.  But it was a great night! 

A little shout out to old and new friends!  My friends back home (Jen especially) knew how sad I was to be missing 12 Bars of Christmas and all of them and they actually brought pictures of me with them on the pub crawl and took pictures with me.  Now those are some amazing friends that I have.  I don't think they know how much that meant to me.  Brought on the happy tears!  Also I'm very thankful for the new friends I've made here and for them joining in the craziness with me. 

Now as many of you know I will be staying here for Christmas Break and right now I'm having a kind of hard time with it because I really do miss my family and friends so much.  I think the reason I am having such a hard time is because almost everyone else here is going home.  But I'm staying strong and planned a little solo travel trip for me and then gonna hit up the beach on Christmas with Nell.  Then Jen, Danielle, and Aly get here, so I know I will have a blast and just need to stay positive.  But know how much I miss and love all of you!

4 comments:

Bex said...

Yeah, you definitely look blonde in that first pic...... :)
PS - told my stylist last night that you got your hair did for $4.50. Encouraged her to price match, but it didn't happen. Ha.

Morgan said...

Dude, you're definitely still a brunette.
Anyway, thinking of you lots! Wish you were here to watch the games with on Sundays. :(
Miss ya!

Unknown said...

I know what a steal for a haircut right? I'd do it again just for the head massage. I miss watching the Packers so much Morgan! And eating 5 cheese dip with you!

Lindsey said...

Prices are awesome over there! They treat you great for simple services while here you pay way too much and are sometimes treated like crap. Miss you Jenny!